By spending 1 month in Russia, we have had plenty of time to discover the culinary specialties of the country.
To be honest, we haven’t made any big discoveries. The ingredients used in Russian cuisine are similar to those used in Europe, and therefore in France. Many vegetables (beets, eggplants, potatoes, beans, broccoli …), and for meat, mainly beef and mutton. The only real surprise is about the herbs with dill, which is used in a lot , A LOT, of dishes.
You want to recreate and test some Russian specialties at home? It’s this way!
Find in our Youtube video the Russian dishes that we have tasted for a month. And just below find 3 recipes to recreate at home: the Olivier Salad, the Pelmenis, and the Borsch Soup.
- ham – 400g
- canned green peas – 1 can
- eggs – 5
- carrotts – 2
- potatoes – 3/4
- pickles – 3/4
- mayonnaise- 100 ml
- Boil eggs, carrots and potatoes
- Cut in cubs pickles, eggs, potatoes, carrots and the ham
- Add the green peas to the salad
- Mix salad with mayonnaise. Add salt.
For the dough>
- wheat flour – 330g
- egg – 1
- water – 100 mL
For the filling>
- beef – 200g and proc – 200g
- onion – 40g
- water – 100mL
- pepper, salt
- Prepare the minced meat, add onion thinly sliced, the salt, pepper and water.
- Make the dough by mixing the flour, egg, water and a pinch of salt. Make the dough stand 30/40 minutes.
- Roll the dough steam 1/1,5 mm thick and cut glass circles with a diameter of 4/5 cm.
- Put the meat in the middle of each Pelmeni and fold it in half moon.
- Pinch the edges of the Pelmeni to close it well.
- Cook the Pelmenis in boiling water for 5/6 minutes
- Serve with melted butter or sour cream.
- beef (with bone)650g
- red cabbage – 400g
- potatoes – 300g
- beets – 200g
- onion – 1
- carrot – 1
- garlic – 2 cloves
- dill – 1 bunch
- parsley – 1 bunch
- tomatoe paste – 2 spoons
- pepper, salt, laurel leaf
- Prepare the broth: boil in 1,5/2L of water the meat for 2 hours.
- Cut the cabbage, onion, carrot and beets. Root in a pan and add the tomato paste.
- Cut the potatoes into large cube of 2/2,5 cm. Add to the broth and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Put the steamed cabbage, carrot, onion and beets to the broth.
- Add the chopped dill, parsley and garlic gloves.
- Season the soup with salt and laurel leaf
- The soup is served with sour cream and a bit of pepper.